chickens in the burbs

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy...

I think this quote is attributed to Ben Franklin and he was expounding on the virtues of beer. Now, don't get me wrong, it was no mistake that beer was invented by monks. However, I am now convinced that the real evidence of God's love and mercy comes to us through CHEESE.

I have had a hankering for cheese lately. Who am I kidding, I'll take cheese just about any time. So strong is the love it is even part of what bonds me to some friends. Anyway, this craving sent me on a search for the perfect mac and cheese.

My first stop was a favorite site, smittenkitchen, and I wasn't disappointed. The recipe that I found was attributed to Martha Stewart and looked awesome. After reading through and making a shopping list I started to think that it sounded like a recipe from a MS cookbook that I owned...and it was! If you get this cookbook be warned, the drool begins when flipping through the pages. Seriously, at her judgement, whatever sins Martha has committed, I think God should really take this recipe (and the happiness that it has brought to me and many others) into consideration. :)

I used a nice English sharp white cheddar from Costco called Coastal. I was hoping for Beecher's Flagship (THE best cheese ever) but I needed 18 ounces and that would have been pretty costly, so I settled for the Coastal which turned out to be perfect. I also went with the Gruyere instead of the Pecorino Romano, another good choice. For the bread crumbs I used a buttermilk white bread.

I would have put a picture up...but a) my tiny kitchen was a bit of a disaster after the cooking and b) I was too busy inhaling as much of this stuff as I could. MMMMMMMMMMM. If you know what's good for you, make this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot to make this when I found it on smittenkitchen!

But you've made me drool over it (again) so this time I won't fail...