chickens in the burbs

Saturday, April 10, 2010

home is where strangers don't ask you inappropriate questions

Most of the time we stay home. I am, after all, a "stay-at-home mom." A SAHM, if you will. There are lots of reasons why we are home most of the time. For instance, Ed drives the car to work (this is a big reason), we avoid colds, flu and nasty germs in general, 1 mommy + 2 babies = very inefficient, etc. However, I'm beginning to realize there is another reason to add to the list. The questions and comments. I know a lot of my friends out there will relate. I never thought 2 kids would garner these rather rude and personal comments...but they do when they're so close in age.

So, maybe I can just put the answers out there on the big old internet and hope that everyone in the Greater Seattle area reads my bloggy thoughts and stops asking the questions. I won't hold my breath...but a girl can dream.

Yes, they are close in age.
No, they are not twins. (yes, people actually ask that.)
They are 11 months, 2 weeks and 1 day apart.
They are 350 days apart.
They are 8,397.5 hours apart.
They are 503,850 minutes apart.
They are 30,231,000 seconds apart.
Yes, my hands are full.
Yes, I am very busy.
Yes, I do know how "this" happens. But I'd bet a big bag of money that you do not know how we were blessed with our children.
No, God willing, we are not "done."
Yes, God willing, we do want more.

I know there are more, but these are the ones that we get the most. Granted, the majority of people say very nice things...but there are always the "bad apples" that spoil the bunch.

So, good people of Seattle, please turn on the little censor in your head before you leave the house. Please realize that a lot of people do not see children as burdens to be grudgingly accepted or sterilely planned. A great many families understand that the capacity to love increases with each miraculous addition and that God wants to give parents everything they need to do their jobs with love and patience...you just have to be willing to ask and receive.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Amen, sister.

Zabaione said...

I totally agree. I haven't actually had anyone ask if any of mine are twins, but once I was walking with my three olders (was expecting our fourth), and a lady and her daughter were approaching us in the opposite direction. As she passed, she exclaimed, "THREE?!?!?!?" I smiled and said, "Someone's gotta do it!" Hopefully my tone of voice portrayed the fact that I was, indeed, HAPPY to do it!